This vegan south Indian tomato chutney is easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. This chutney provides vitamins and glutathione. These glistening red bundles are storehouses of health. Tomato chutney offers great relief from life threatening diseases like cancer and enables a person to live a longer and healthier life.
Tamtar kasundi originated in Bengal region, in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent, and is typically a spicy and savory tomato and mustard chutney.
To promote digestion, coriander leaves are the perfect remedy. They are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K among others. These nutrients are beneficial for people with diabetes. It can stimulate the insulin secretion and lowers the blood sugar level.
Most South Indians serve chutney with breakfasts like idli, dosa, vada and even with plain rice & ghee. I also use this tomato chutney to serve with snacks, sandwiches, pakora and rolls. Smear the chutney on bread or rotis then add your favorite filling. You will love this.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Tomatoes:- 4
- Sambar powder:- 1 tsp
- Tamarind (small bit or ¼ tsp paste) use this only if your are using
- Salt:- As required
For the Seasoning
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal: ½ tsp
- Green chilli:- 1 slit and cut it into 2
- Curry leaves: few
How to make Tomato Chutney with Step by Step
- Cut tomatoes, scoop out the seeds (if there are too many) and grind it without adding any water.
- Along with sambar powder, salt and a small piece of tamarind.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in pan.
- Add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, green chilli and curry leaves give a nice taste to chutney.
- Saute them on medium flame til dal turns golden for a few seconds.
- Then add the ground tomato puree.
- Cook on medium flame and continue to saute for 5-6 minutes or until the raw flavor goes and oil separates.
- Later, pour the tempering over tomato chutney.
- Finally, serve as a side dish Idli, Dosa, Rice etc.
Note: Finally, add little coconut if you are looking for more thick and creamy texture.